Skip to main content

5 Things to make you a better Teacher This Year - Be the Change!



1. I might have to add this to my mottoes for teachers:
 STOP TALKING, Start Listening.
This article about BRAIN research from Kagan is awesome.  It tells teachers, that "Tellin' ain't Teaching"
I wish I could YELL it to all teachers.
http://www.kaganonline.com/online_magazine/spencers_thinkpad.php


2. Build Relationships First - Get to know them.
http://www.bamradionetwork.com/edwords-blog/5-lessons-from-camp
They are kids. They need consistency and love. They need to like school, just like Camp. "School is awesome."  I love playing games at the beginning of school to find the leaders, or shy students in the group, get them up, get them moving. Start with music something positive and happy.  Be happy to be there and love your content and they respect that. Make it about them, and their favorite things - then add in the content to those topics.  If they love video games, go online - grab some cheat codes and see if they can tell you how to score higher, watch and see how fast suddenly they can read. I haven't had a student give me a boring answer on an inventory sheet that didn't help me know, understand more about them. Find a student inventory - reading inventory, or personality inventory and learn more about your students likes and dislikes.
Questions like: The best thing about me is...
What I enjoy doing the best....
I earn the best grades when I....
The things I like best about myself are...
If I could follow someone around for a day at their job it would be....


I have learned that ALL students come to school to SUCCEED, so you can help them do that by saying,
3. "I Believe in You"
This article from BAM Radio tells you how to avoid embarrassing students, and how to reword your questions to encourage them and let them know you are a support to help them Succeed more each day.  Ask them to SHOW you how it is done.  Believe they can.  Awesome Teachers do this.
http://www.bamradionetwork.com/edwords-blog/i-believe-in-you-what-students-most-want-to-hear-from-teachers


4. Classroom Strategy  STRUCTURED TIMED Pair Share

Asking students a question and getting one eager volunteer to answer is common in every classroom.  However a better way is the Kagan strategy of Timed Pair Share.  Ask the same question but give students 45 seconds to answer it to their elbow partner, - Both have to answer, all have to participate and no one is daydreaming, all are participating. Time flies when this is used.  Use Higher level questions or ask students to compare two h istorical characters or characters from a text allow for more time. If you LISTEN you will hear great responses, and quickly can tell who might need more help understanding or focusing.  I love Kagan stuff and if I ever get to attend a class, I will jump at the chance.  Read more about it here at Kagan Articles:
http://www.kaganonline.com/free_articles/dr_spencer_kagan/274/Kagan-Structures-Not-One-More-Program-a-Better-Way-to-Teach-Any-Program


5.  Great ways to begin the year!

This one is wordy at the beginning so I scrolled down to the words: Part One there are some great ideas here and helpful. Remember YOU can do this, and Be Great!

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/classroom_qa_with_larry_ferlazzo/2013/08/response_ways_to_start_off_the_new_year_on_a_postive_note_-_part_one.html


Do-I-belong-is-one-of1111.jpg


Things to NOT do on first day.  I agree with a few of these.  Some maybe.
http://www.brilliant-insane.com/2015/08/14-things-teachers-should-never-do-on-the-first-day-of-school.html






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Break Out Your Reading Skills!

 Break Out Your Reading Skills Challenge This challenge will ask our readers to READ a piece of non-fiction.  Then answer 5 questions to get a code.  If they get all 5 answers correct their code should unlock the snack box to BREAK out a snack for you and a friend.  If you get the first 4 answers correct you should have the code to BREAK out one snack for yourself.   So I have three cards of five questions each.  These questions are STAAR formatted to keep it familiar to students, and are based on 7th & 8th Grade reading TEKS. Each question tells you page numbers, so you really don't have to read the whole book but you can read parts of the articles or stories in it to answer the questions.  Like a short article, or quick story, no more than two or three pages each. Students try a story, to see if their code unlocks the lock.  I am using the following non-fiction books: The Queen's Shadow - A Story about How Animals See by Cybele Young Shark Life - by P

Books of the Summer Begins this Week

I just finished Paper Towns by John Green.                                                                                                     I liked the story, and the drama.  I think students will like it.  However, this is my third John Green book and I am starting to see a trend. I noticed in Looking for Alaska the middle could allow for a mind to drift.  This book I found that happening also. I put it down several times.  Thinking the entire time, will he find her?  Do I really need to know?  So I kept reading because, Yes, I did want to know.  Plus I have just finished reading,  All the Bright Places and I didn't want the same outcome for these two friends. This story was a tear-jerk-er, and I was so hoping that Paper Towns would not end up the same way. And since I won't spoil either great stories for you, I will say both are worth the time to read.  I feel in love with the characters of  Theodore and Violet in All the Bright Places and you will too. Pa

iPadpalooza 2015

iPadPalooza 2015  Beyond Incredible Spending this week in Austin was beyond incredible for me. The learning opportunities at this event were beyond my capacity.    I left Thursday late with such brain overload that I could barely form complete sentences. So, I am trying to put it all together because it went so fast, I am reading my notes and wishing I have voice recordings for all the amazing sessions, and people and just great information passed along. To anyone who knows me, they know I am a complete nerd and a workaholic. So these three days just fed my inner learner to gluttony status I am sure.  My A.D.H.D was just bouncing everywhere, as I was picking up new buzz words, and new apps, books to read, teachers to inspire and fun websites, and just the point of encouraging kids to want to think,  &  learn more,... was literally in every session.   So I am going to try to just post two tips a day, while I calm my thoughts and plan great ideas to use with our students. So