Skip to main content

It's more than a device...it's empowering.

I saw a Tweet today linked to a blog that gave a teacher 4 reasons how technology can help with classroom management. ( I'm trying to find it again to give credit). But I thought about how my students react to having the Chromebooks in their classrooms.  I have watched this happen in my own class, but when you hand a student a computer, iPad, or tech device, you send a message to this child. “You are worth it.”
My campus is a title one district, some students deal with survival more than any student should.  But to some, by having their own device, it sends the message you believe in them. They know you want them to be successful, and you can help them learn needed skills for today's world.  It sends the message, you can be professional, you can learn, grow and we care. This is why students armed with technology are suddenly more engaged, they feel valued.  A valued child can then grow confident and safe making learning easier.  Less behavior problems happen when you have student's best interest in mind. When students know you care, they want to learn with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Have a great day, by helping someone else's day be great!

Today was my 17th 'first day' in education. My 11th in public school at Everman I.S.D.  I am learning more and more every day.  The kids make it so much more fun though.  All summer I have been in and out of trainings, with some kids for summer school, and working the last two weeks with adults. Today was better because the KIDS were there. Some were scared and unsure.  Some were angry their sleep was disturbed.  Some were tired of the dress code already, but they were there.  I know in their heads they are saying to themselves, "this year, THIS IS the year I am going to be awesome, I am going to start off on the right foot, and make great grades.  I will be organized.  I will ace every class. Then there are the ones in lines with parents trying to just register and praying they have all the paper work required like at the D.M.V.  The constant paper work that ties us to places and people required to prove something.  I like the kids....

Break Out Your Reading Skills!

 Break Out Your Reading Skills Challenge This challenge will ask our readers to READ a piece of non-fiction.  Then answer 5 questions to get a code.  If they get all 5 answers correct their code should unlock the snack box to BREAK out a snack for you and a friend.  If you get the first 4 answers correct you should have the code to BREAK out one snack for yourself.   So I have three cards of five questions each.  These questions are STAAR formatted to keep it familiar to students, and are based on 7th & 8th Grade reading TEKS. Each question tells you page numbers, so you really don't have to read the whole book but you can read parts of the articles or stories in it to answer the questions.  Like a short article, or quick story, no more than two or three pages each. Students try a story, to see if their code unlocks the lock.  I am using the following non-fiction books: The Queen's Shadow - A Story about How Animals See by C...

Found a great useful Tool to use - Hack Learning Mobile App

http://www.brilliant-insane.com/2015/06/12-things-that-make-you-smart-kind-and-tech-savvy.html?utm_content=buffer4b318&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer This is a super informative app.  You can download free books, free videos, or purchase your favorite, but it offers some wonderful learning opportunities at your fingertips.   I really liked the ALL IN - getting students to ALL participate!  Great quick tips, read for teachers.